PDA

View Full Version : After Week #5, who should be #1?

cdj
10-03-2010, 07:03 AM
As we near the midway point of the season, who should be the #1 team in the country?

- Alabama
- Boise State
- Ohio State
- Oklahoma
- Oregon
- TCU
- Other

SmoothPancakes
10-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Alabama by far. They are the ONLY team worthy of #1 in my opinion.

morsdraconis
10-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Because they beat a SEVERELY overrated Florida team?

SmoothPancakes
10-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Because they beat a SEVERELY overrated Florida team?

Because they beat Penn State, they beat Arkansas, and they bitch slapped a SEVERELY overrated Florida team. Meanwhile, Ohio State's only good win has been Miami. Boise State's only good win has been Oregon State. In my opinion, Boise doesn't get to even consider claiming Virginia Tech as a good win. Virginia Tech just plain sucks, they were SEVERELY overrated AND over-ranked (thanks to the dumbass preseason polls) and Boise still needed to pull the win out of their ass with a minute left in the game. The good thing for Boise, is that Nevada is playing worth a damn this year and is currently ranked, so the Broncos can hope to claim their win over Nevada is a good/quality win when the rest of their craptastic schedule is being examined.

steelerfan
10-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Agreed.

CLW
10-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Bama although if Oregon keeps putting up Tecmo Bowl #s I'd love to see their offense go up against the Bama defense.

JBHuskers
10-03-2010, 04:36 PM
It's clearer than ever that Bama is number one, but who's number two? That's the tricky question. So which is more important in these three teams' two biggest wins?

Ohio State - Miami by 12, Illinois by 11
Boise State - Virginia Tech by 3, Oregon State by 13
Oregon - Stanford by 21, Tennessee by 35

With that said I'm going to bump Oregon to #2, and have a tie for 3rd between Ohio State and Boise.

My top 10:

1. Alabama (--)
2. Oregon (5)
t3. Boise State (--)
t3. Ohio State (2)
5. TCU (6)
6. Nebraska (7)
7. Oklahoma (9)
8. Auburn (10)
9. Michigan (NR)
10. Michigan State (NR)

Others receiving a thought or two: Arizona, LSU, Utah, Arkansas, Miami

Outside of the minor shuffling near the top, the remaining undefeated top ten teams from last week just simply move up. I've been impressed with both Michigan and Michigan State enough so to jump them ahead of Arizona, LSU, and Utah. For the first time, I'm giving consideration to some 1-loss teams to crack the top ten eventually with Miami and Arkansas. At least one of these teams will be in the top ten at seasons end I'm guessing.

Iron Dragon
10-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Alabama with Oregon behind them.

JeffHCross
10-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Because they beat Penn State, they beat Arkansas, and they bitch slapped a SEVERELY overrated Florida team.As predicted by several PSU fans last week, Penn State is going to struggle the remainder of the season. Alabama's win over Penn State is going to look no better than Boise's win over Virginia Tech by the end of the year. In fact, I think Virginia Tech has a much better shot at a good season than Penn State.

I'll give you Arkansas though. That was an impressive win -- though I think Arkansas lost it more than Alabama won it.

AustinWolv
10-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Agreed, Arkansas is a solid team and that is a quality win.

PSU is not the PSU of the past couple seasons. They are average. MSU is better than PSU.
Michigan is not Top10 material. I'd say 15-20 at best, due to the defense being so poor thus far. A team with a lesser offense but a decent defense should likely be ranked better than my Wolverines. (The offense is sure fun to watch though.....and it isn't even close to being well-oiled yet.....wow)

I'd agree that Oregon can be up that high.

steelerfan
10-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Based on Oregon's defense vs ASU and the first half against Stanford, I'd still have to give a slight edge to Boise as #2. If the Ducks keep it up, that margin will vanish based on SoS.

EDIT: I noticed we're not getting votes for Texas anymore. :dunno:

AustinWolv
10-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Living down here, I predicted that Texas was overrated. With Shipley gone, they've had no receivers step up and that includes the past couple seasons as he was the only 'gamer' really. Worse, they wanted to run the ball more, but no RB has stepped up. They have a few talented guys, but none have planted their flag and taken the job. So you knew a young QB was going to get pressured.

JeffHCross
10-04-2010, 11:06 PM
EDIT: I noticed we're not getting votes for Texas anymore. :dunno:Let's see what Scott Wolf (he of the lone AP #1 vote for Texas) says this week ...

Rank Team
1 Alabama
2 Oklahoma (Highest)
3 Oregon
4 Boise State
5 TCU
6 Ohio State (Lowest)
7 Nebraska
8 Florida
9 LSU
10 Auburn
11 Miami (FL)
12 Arkansas
13 Stanford
14 Utah
15 Arizona
16 Air Force (Highest)
17 Florida State (Highest)
18 South Carolina
19 West Virginia (Highest)
20 Kansas State (Highest)
21 Iowa (Lowest)
22 Michigan State
23 Nevada
24 Oregon State
25 Oklahoma State

SmoothPancakes
10-05-2010, 04:46 AM
That guy seriously has a major hate for and bias against the Big Ten. Ohio State ranked 6th (lowest), Iowa ranked 21st (lowest), Wisconsin or Michigan not even ranked at all, good lord. I thought AP voters were "supposed to be unbiased". At least he finally grew a brain and is no longer voting Texas #1 (or in fact at all anymore for that matter).

steelerfan
10-05-2010, 07:44 AM
At least he finally grew a brain and is no longer voting Texas #1 (or in fact at all anymore for that matter).

Yeah, but OU #2? Why? Because they barely beat a mediocre UT team? Ha! Why isn't UCLA high on his list? He's a moron.

SmoothPancakes
10-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Yeah, but OU #2? Why? Because they barely beat a mediocre UT team? Ha! Why isn't UCLA high on his list? He's a moron.

Yeah, I forgot, I was going to mention that. Yeah, Oklahoma #2 is just as bad as Texas #1. Ohio State, Oregon, and Boise State all have a better claim to #2 than Oklahoma does. I think this idiot is just trying to fuck up the polls with his vote instead of actually voting logically. Which begs the question, why the hell hasn't the AP revoked his voting card yet? I can guarantee there are hundreds, even thousands of journalists in this country that could actually make a logical, smart ballot rather than this douchebag.

JBHuskers
10-05-2010, 09:54 AM
LOL how did you find his ballot? Is there a place that lists them all?

SmoothPancakes
10-05-2010, 10:11 AM
http://www.pollspeak.com/index.htm

I visit it every single week to check out the ballots.

They even list Basketball and Baseball poll ballots, as well as have ballots for football and basketball from back in 2007 on there.

JBHuskers
10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.pollspeak.com/index.htm

I visit it every single week to check out the ballots.

They even list Basketball and Baseball poll ballots, as well as have ballots for football and basketball from back in 2007 on there.

Nice, thanks!

steelerfan
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Which begs the question, why the hell hasn't the AP revoked his voting card yet?

THAT is a VERY good question!

SmoothPancakes
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Nice, thanks!

Yeah, I love that site. It's nice to check out some ballots of big name voters, plus even voters around the region here where I live. That, and anytime I see some team in the "Others Receiving Votes" and wonder "who the hell used/wasted a vote on THAT team", I can go find out who. :D

THAT is a VERY good question!

Yes it is. There was one voter, Tom Hart, who the AP kicked out of it's poll at the beginning of the season and replaced him with another voter because he was involved to whatever extent (I can't remember just how much) with the Big Ten Network, even though his preseason poll showed no Big Ten bias whatsoever. Granted, in Hart's case, he was essentially affiliated to whatever extent with the Big Ten via the BTN.

But still, if the AP claims to do whatever they need to do to limit bias in their poll, then someone there at the AP is dropping the ball hardcore, because Wolf's ballot is the biggest example of bias I have seen on a ballot for as long as I can remember. It's not even just one or two weeks. Wolf's ballots, every single week, has been MAJORLY biased against the entire Big Ten Conference, as well as he apparently likes the Big 12 Conference. Sitting there ranking Texas #1 week after week until they finally lost. Now ranking Oklahoma #2 (while they are a good team and worthy of a Top 5-7 ranking, they are definitely not worthy of a #2 ranking).

JBHuskers
10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
It's good to know that local guy Steven Sipple is level headed on the polls LOL figured he would be.

JeffHCross
10-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes it is. There was one voter, Tom Hart, who the AP kicked out of it's poll at the beginning of the season and replaced him with another voter because he was involved to whatever extent (I can't remember just how much) with the Big Ten Network, even though his preseason poll showed no Big Ten bias whatsoever.That's pretty stupid considering practically everyone in the AP Poll is involved with, at the very least by covering, some team in college. And then you have people like Herbie who would have every reason in the world to be biased.

It's constantly strange to me that Herbie ends up being one of the most neutral people around. Certainly not complaining -- just surprised. I'm always surprised when people aren't biased.

steelerfan
10-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm always surprised when people aren't biased.

You shouldn't be. Those guys have their statuses (stati, lol?) to protect.

Then, look at yourself, I haven't seen you dropping OSU votes even though they're in the conversation. Some guys can keep biases under wraps and understand the difference between fandom and fandumb. Those are the guys who the AP needs. Not guys who have agendas.

morsdraconis
10-06-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm sorry, but there's no way that Oregon should be overtop of Boise State. Alabama #1, sure, whatever, but Boise State not at #2 is just a crock of bullshit. Oregon has beaten ONE decent team (Stanford, who is DECENT but hasn't really beaten anyone worth a damn yet).

I mean, how is a team that CONSTANTLY has 1st half deficits given more points for being able to overpower shitty teams when Boise State (the new team that everyone loves to hate) just flatout out plays them for 60 minutes. Virginia Tech was on the only game where they were behind at some point and never by more than 6 points. Oregon, on the other hand, has been down by double digits three times. Sure, the teams they played (again, all pretty mediocre teams) shit the bed and let them get back in it (and finally either blow them out or just win the game), but something has to be said about a team letting teams come out early and jump on them with pretty big leads. There's no way Oregon keeps getting away with doing that against teams, especially when they finally play a team that's halfway decent (which, sadly, probably won't happen with their pushover schedule).

Rudy
10-06-2010, 04:59 AM
I have no problem with Oregon over Boise St. In fact I think Oregon should be higher than Ohio St. If someone wants to put Boise #1 or #2 I don't really have a problem with that either. Those arguments can be made.

For people that rag on Oregon's defense, look at the defensive yards per play stat: http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort02.html. Oregon's number is ahead of Alabama. Of course Oregon played a couple horrible teams early on but sometimes they give up a lot of yards just because they are on the field quite a bit due to the fast offense.

I think Oregon's biggest worry is the health of Thomas. Costa won't be able to run that offense the way he does and Thomas took some major shots against Stanford. Denard takes a lot of hits for Michigan too. If you run the spread the way those teams do you better have a good backup QB. Michigan has two of them while I think Oregon will be hurt if Costa has to play.