PDA

View Full Version : 2017 NFL Season Talk

JBHuskers
09-07-2017, 02:54 PM
It's here!!!!

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-06-2015/NWrwEI.gif

JBHuskers
09-07-2017, 03:14 PM
And here are my "fearless" predictions....

AFC EAST
AFC NORTH
AFC SOUTH
AFC WEST

1. New England
1. Pittsburgh
1. Tennessee
1. Los Angeles

2. Buffalo
2. Cincinnati *
2. Houston *
2. Denver

3. Miami
3. Baltimore
3. Indianapolis
3. Oakland

4. New York
4. Cleveland
4. Jacksonville
4. Kansas City

NFC EAST
NFC NORTH
NFC SOUTH
NFC WEST

1. Dallas
1. Green Bay
1. Atlanta
1. Seattle

2. New York
2. Minnesota
2. Tampa Bay *
2. Arizona

3. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
3. New Orleans *
3. Los Angeles

4. Washington
4. Detroit
4. Carolina
4. San Francisco

WILD CARD

Houston d. Los Angeles
Tennessee d. Cincinnati
Dallas d. New Orleans
Tampa Bay d. Seattle

DIVISIONAL

New England d. Houston
Pittsburgh d. Tennessee
Green Bay d. Tampa Bay
Atlanta d. Dallas

CONFERENCE

New England d. Pittsburgh
Atlanta d. Green Bay

SUPER BOWL 52

Atlanta d. New England

JBHuskers
09-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Oddly enough, I'm predicting a rematch and payback for ATL.

Rudy
09-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Still no love for Miami! I think Miami does better than Buffalo who seems to be tanking this year. I see Detroit being better than Chicago.

I think the AFC West and NFC South are the most balanced divisions with anything that could happen. The NFC East should be interesting too.

bdoughty
09-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Madden Curse still going strong! Stick a Patriot or Cowboy player on the cover every year.

Brady was 16-36 (45% QBR) and it was his 5th worst game as a starter. Kudos to the fine folks at EA!

Rudy
09-08-2017, 10:01 AM
I'll take a Patriots loss any day! Andy Reid is under appreciated so much. Philly should have never let him go. I realize it sucks when a coach "only" brings you to conference championships every year. Clearly any coach that doesn't win a Super Bowl in less than 10 years should be fired lol.

SmoothPancakes
09-10-2017, 01:20 PM
:D

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

steelerfan
09-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Lol Tex-Anns.

Ugly win for Pittsburgh but I liked seeing TJ Watt go off. Can't wait to wear my black and gold Watt jersey in Houston. [emoji16]

steelerfan
09-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Hmm. I guess this award is fixed and Jeremy Fowler let the cat out of the bag. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170912/b7b7c0f42bfd191a5d53f782e062a885.jpg

Rudy
09-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Lawrence Timmons went awol on Miami Saturday. Not playing today. Not sure what happened.

Rudy
09-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Timmons suspended indefinitely by Miami. Miami now trades for LB. I think Timmons is cut and I see a fight over that FULLY guaranteed contract for two years. Still don't know why Timmons took off and was found by cops Sunday morning in the airport. Caught everyone off guard. Don't know if it was a fight with his family or anger or depression. Doesn't sound like it was related to his role on the team as he was expected to start and play a lot.

steelerfan
09-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Timmons suspended indefinitely by Miami. Miami now trades for LB. I think Timmons is cut and I see a fight over that FULLY guaranteed contract for two years. Still don't know why Timmons took off and was found by cops Sunday morning in the airport. Caught everyone off guard. Don't know if it was a fight with his family or anger or depression. Doesn't sound like it was related to his role on the team as he was expected to start and play a lot.He was at Steelers practice the Friday before Pittsburgh's opener (of course, he had evacuated). I read that he is unhappy with the Dolphins organization (not everyone can be Pittsburgh). Sounds like he may just regret leaving the Steelers?

jaymo76
09-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Hmm. I guess this award is fixed and Jeremy Fowler let the cat out of the bag. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170912/b7b7c0f42bfd191a5d53f782e062a885.jpg

Don't let Ram see this... lol

SmoothPancakes
09-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Don't let Ram see this... lolSpeaking of Nostradumbass, I found out what he's been up to lately.

In the words of Samuel L. Jackson's character in Jurassic Park, hold onto your butts. We're going down the fucking rabbit hole of all rabbit holes.

He ain't the owner of the blog, but from the week 1 and week 2 posts, he is a frequent commenter and apparently has graduated from claiming injuries are faked to pulling random numbers out of his ass as justifications for why games are rigged in one team's favor. Still quite unsuccessfully it would appear.

http://upsidedowntruthnfl.blogspot.com/?m=1

steelerfan
09-20-2017, 03:07 AM
The only formula that makes sense after looking at that site:

QBs Birthdate + Head Coach Losses - Franchise Wins = Pathetic Chronic Masturbators in Momma's Basement

That shit is BEYOND idiotic. Good find, Smooth!

Rudy
09-20-2017, 04:13 AM
He was at Steelers practice the Friday before Pittsburgh's opener (of course, he had evacuated). I read that he is unhappy with the Dolphins organization (not everyone can be Pittsburgh). Sounds like he may just regret leaving the Steelers?

That sounds the most logical but there was talk of him seeing a doctor or having a personal issue. Either way, you can't just take off and tell nobody. He's a veteran that knows this business. He got a 2 year $12M contract that was pretty much fully guaranteed but this suspension probably nullifies some of that and they can go after the signing bonus. Sounds like Gase doesn't like or believe his reasons and is super pissed.

They have done a good job of keeping things quiet. I'd like to know more but after trading for Anthony I think he is done in Miami. The Dolphins cap after having paid Cutler $10M+ this season is not going to be in great shape moving forward. Their secondary is still slow and their LBs are still bad. Signing Alonso to all that money along with Branch at DE were mistakes too imo.

bdoughty
09-20-2017, 07:30 AM
http://upsidedowntruthnfl.blogspot.com/?m=1

Better there than here. :up:

steelerfan
09-20-2017, 09:35 AM
That sounds the most logical but there was talk of him seeing a doctor or having a personal issue. Either way, you can't just take off and tell nobody. He's a veteran that knows this business. He got a 2 year $12M contract that was pretty much fully guaranteed but this suspension probably nullifies some of that and they can go after the signing bonus. Sounds like Gase doesn't like or believe his reasons and is super pissed.

They have done a good job of keeping things quiet. I'd like to know more but after trading for Anthony I think he is done in Miami. The Dolphins cap after having paid Cutler $10M+ this season is not going to be in great shape moving forward. Their secondary is still slow and their LBs are still bad. Signing Alonso to all that money along with Branch at DE were mistakes too imo.Whatever the case, hopefully he gets his head straight. He was always dependable and was a good citizen in Pittsburgh.

I agree though, it appears his days in Miami are over.

Rudy
09-20-2017, 11:15 AM
They are saying they won't comment on it publicly. They also said the trade for Anthony was in works before this. Maybe he still comes back but he is out this week. Still don't know why he took of to the airport and told nobody.

Hopefully he is ok mentally. Could be scary to himself and family.

steelerfan
09-20-2017, 12:08 PM
They are saying they won't comment on it publicly. They also said the trade for Anthony was in works before this. Maybe he still comes back but he is out this week. Still don't know why he took of to the airport and told nobody.

Hopefully he is ok mentally. Could be scary to himself and family.I read he was flying to PA to see his daughter. Who knows why?

SmoothPancakes
09-21-2017, 11:25 AM
This dude is here to say the Giants suck. And stop using your goddamn Pythagoream theorem to defend them!

I'm just glad no one mentioned rhombuses around him, blood might have been spilled.

steelerfan
09-21-2017, 12:28 PM
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Rudy
09-21-2017, 12:44 PM
I hate when old guys rage against stats. Just make you see like a bitter old man. Giants line does suck huge.

Rudy
09-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Looks like Timmons just wants to be back at Pitt.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-timmons-visited-steelers-during-bye-before-going-awol-in-week-2/amp/

bdoughty
09-27-2017, 07:30 PM
Deshaun beats Alabama and now this, I am starting to become a fan.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/deshaun-watson-nrg-stadium-houston-texans-harvey-first-game-check-nfl-cry-video

Rudy
09-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Super nice gesture from Deshaun. Jury still out in him as a player but seems like a great person.

Lawrence Timmons is back with Miami. Looks like we wasted a 5th rounder on Anthony from NO.

jaymo76
10-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Jets and Bills oh my. The AFC East is shocking me right now!

jaymo76
10-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Also, what's with the Rams. They actually look good. Wow!

Rudy
10-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Miami has wasted so much money are crappy players. Cutler, Julius Thomas. They suck. On defence Branch and Kiko are invisible out there. I saw Kiko make one nice play today. Never noticed Branch. The offence is so bad right now. Why they spend all game in shotgun instead of game planning around Ajayi is baffling. They couldn’t score against the Saints!

steelerfan
10-09-2017, 05:44 AM
Oh, Mi-ami.

Video NSFW.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/video-of-miami-dolphins-offensive-line-coach-chris-foerster-snorting-a-white-substance-goes-viral/

Rudy
10-09-2017, 07:36 AM
I guess Miami’s offence isn’t the only thing to blow. Good grief.

bdoughty
10-09-2017, 08:32 AM
You have to love the reasoning for posting the video. :D :fp:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4961586/Video-surfaces-Miami-Dolphins-coach-snorting-powder.html

Rudy
10-09-2017, 11:25 AM
I’m not sure what surprised me more, a Dolphins controversy or the fact the OL coach was allegedly making $2.5-$3M a year. Can’t believe he was making that much.

On a football related note, the Miami defence has played well and their linebackers have played well too. Kiko has been very good last two weeks and Timmons has made a difference. Some nice young players on d. Too bad their second round LB out of OSU blew out his knee. Looks like a total waste of a 5th rounder for LB Anthony from NO. He may never make a tackle.

steelerfan
10-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Saints trade Adrian Peterson to the Cardinals.

steelerfan
10-10-2017, 08:20 PM
https://youtu.be/Wa_15Zmz-HM

Baylor? Enabling? Say it ain't so!

Rudy
10-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Arizona did NO a favour by taking on the rest of his contract. But they do need a back. I'm not sure how much AP has left and given that he is limited in the passing game he is not a great fit in today's NFL unless he can still run well.

steelerfan
10-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Arizona did NO a favour by taking on the rest of his contract. But they do need a back. I'm not sure how much AP has left and given that he is limited in the passing game he is not a great fit in today's NFL unless he can still run well. The rest of his contract is only $700k though so it's a good flier for Arizona.

steelerfan
10-22-2017, 06:27 PM
For all their warts and shortcomings, the Steelers have taken over the top seed in the AFC.

Here We Go Steelers!

bdoughty
10-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Here We Go Steelers!

Oh no, that chant is off limits to you. There is a "we" in it and your rules specifically denounce such things. :nod:

Rudy
10-23-2017, 03:46 AM
Dolphins almost lose a second game to the Jets but pulled it out. Glad Cutler won’t be the QB for awhile. His footwork is atrocious. He looks like a retired QB who came back for the cash.

Rudy
10-31-2017, 02:14 PM
The Dolphins are freaking morons. Timmons takes off and they panic, giving up a 5th rounder for Stephone Anthony who is inactive and doesn't see the field. Then they trade Jay Ajayi to Philly for only a 4th rounder? He's the only good thing on this offence. Gase's offence is garbage and if this backfires I want him gone. Some of the decisions he has forced on this club are bad - like fighting for Julius Thomas. Waste!

steelerfan
11-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Dilly dilly!

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/931378055817424896/video/1

SmoothPancakes
11-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Dilly dilly!

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/931378055817424896/video/1I figure you'd also enjoy this, came across it just now, lol.

https://youtu.be/wAqmmjKgrOk

steelerfan
11-17-2017, 12:47 PM
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

cdj
12-30-2017, 09:20 PM

jaymo76
12-30-2017, 10:00 PM

Is this an early April Fools joke? I don't get that at all. It makes no sense for the Raiders and makes even less sense for Gruden. Del Rio is a good fit for the job and Gruden is happy with the TV gig. I will be stunned if it becomes a reality. Gruden has been out of coaching for a long time. Why comeback now?

Rudy
12-31-2017, 10:42 AM
This is the annual Gruden report designed to get him a raise. Like clockwork. He already makes $6M a year and has the best gig in town. I doubt anything happens.

jaymo76
12-31-2017, 02:43 PM
This is the annual Gruden report designed to get him a raise. Like clockwork. He already makes $6M a year and has the best gig in town. I doubt anything happens.

One interesting thing about this story is the Derek Carr piece. Some of the Raider faithful are beginning to turn on him and comparisons to his brother are now popping up everywhere. To be fair he has not been as good as he was last season (since the injury) but Cooper and Crabtree and the drops have just been deadly this year. The team needs to drop Lynch and refocus on getting the type of RB who fits there scheme and picking up a solid possession receiver.

SmoothPancakes
12-31-2017, 03:35 PM
And the Browns clinch perfection! In what might be the most Browns play I've ever seen, a pass on fourth down and two, to a wide open receiver, hits him in the hands and goes right through his damn hands for a dropped pass incompletion to turn the ball over on downs and seal Cleveland's o-fer fate.

That fourth down dropped pass to seal their 0-16 fate was like the perfect representation of the Browns, not only this season, but as a franchise as whole.

jaymo76
12-31-2017, 04:09 PM
And the Browns clinch perfection! In what might be the most Browns play I've ever seen, a pass on fourth down and two, to a wide open receiver, hits him in the hands and goes right through his damn hands for a dropped pass incompletion to turn the ball over on downs and seal Cleveland's o-fer fate.

That fourth down dropped pass to seal their 0-16 fate was like the perfect representation of the Browns, not only this season, but as a franchise as whole.

Don't tell Steeler but... I actually felt bad for them and wanted them to get the win. Imagine living with that title... 0/16. Ouch!

steelerfan
12-31-2017, 04:13 PM

Sent from my SM-G930V using TapatalkMy actual reaction watching that play:

"Sack him!
Get him!
Damn it!
Fuck!
Oh, wait, nevermind, it's the Browns."

Rudy
12-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Derek Carr is a bit of an enigma. Can make a lot of great plays but misses some easy ones. Like Cousins, both of them can get happy feet on the pocket and rush decisions, dumping off passes rather than waiting for a better play. He’s still young.

The thing that makes QBs so tough is guys like Brady and Rodgers making average salaries at QB and yet being so much better than the rest of these pretenders like Stafford making $25M a year. Most players can’t carry a team into the playoffs and are very over paid at $20+.

jaymo76
01-03-2018, 03:55 PM
So Marvin Lewis... gets an extension???? ... This guy has done nothing in all his years and he's untouchable. Ohio makes some interesting football decisions (aka Browns and Bengals).

Rudy
01-04-2018, 03:30 AM
I am actually fine with Marvin Lewis staying. That owner is cheap and doesn’t give the resources in scouting and other areas. The Bengals were a disaster before he took over and have consistently competed for a playoff spot although they haven’t won any. While I can agree that maybe it’s time to give someone else a chance I don’t think Cincinnati is a spot where you can win consistently and I think they could do worse by firing him.

SmoothPancakes
01-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Supposedly Gruden and the Raiders is a done deal. He'll be announced as their new head coach on Tuesday.

SmoothPancakes
01-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Schefter now reporting Gruden's deal is for 10 years, worth $100 million, the longest deal in NFL history.

Rudy
01-05-2018, 12:46 PM
10 years and $100M for Gruden! To quote the late Dick Enberg “Oh my!”

steelerfan
01-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Wow.

No disrespect to anyone but that deal is a mistake. Gruden hasn't coached in 9 years. I realize that this signing is mostly to pacify the Oakland fans as the team plays out their lame duck year(s) but boy.

This has to make some other more accomplished HCs VERY happy.

Rudy
01-05-2018, 05:06 PM
I just hope it’s true Belichick is leaving. If only Brady leaves too and then Miami has a chance!

SmoothPancakes
01-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Whoa! What's this about Belichick leaving? I know there was a bunch of stories the past day or two about a some sort of friction between Belichick, Brady and Kraft, but I haven't actually paid any attention to it beyond the occasional sports notification that pops up on my phone.

SmoothPancakes
01-06-2018, 07:18 PM
I have really, really gotta start making bets against the Kansas City Chiefs in the playoffs. Their 6th straight home playoff loss after epically blowing it against Tennessee tonight.

souljahbill
01-08-2018, 10:14 AM
I have really, really gotta start making bets against the Kansas City Chiefs in the playoffs. Their 6th straight home playoff loss after epically blowing it against Tennessee tonight.

As soon as you make that bet, KC will win by 40. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmoothPancakes
01-08-2018, 11:01 AM
As soon as you make that bet, KC will win by 40. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkKnowing my lucky, probably! :D

I am happy Jacksonville won. I don't know why, but I always enjoy seeing Jacksonville have some success.

I don't know if they'll manage to beat Pittsburgh (they may have beaten Pittsburgh 30-9 during the regular season, but week 5 was a LONG time ago), but that is the game I'm most looking forward to this weekend.

I don't think Tennessee is going to have the tools to keep up with New England. Philly is probably going to get hammered by Atlanta with Carson Wentz injured. New Orleans and Minnesota is probably going to end up being the best game just based on the eye test right now.

steelerfan
01-08-2018, 11:08 AM
I think the NO/MIN game is the NFC Championship Game. I believe ATL will beat PHI and then lose to the NO/MIN winner.

I gotta think both home teams win in the AFC. JAX could surprise PIT but I'm fairly confident because JAX faded down the stretch and they've lost 3 straight road games to nobodies (ARI, SF, TEN) and their offense has vanished.

souljahbill
01-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Knowing my lucky, probably! :D

I am happy Jacksonville won. I don't know why, but I always enjoy seeing Jacksonville have some success.

I don't know if they'll manage to beat Pittsburgh (they may have beaten Pittsburgh 30-9 during the regular season, but week 5 was a LONG time ago), but that is the game I'm most looking forward to this weekend.

I don't think Tennessee is going to have the tools to keep up with New England. Philly is probably going to get hammered by Atlanta with Carson Wentz injured. New Orleans and Minnesota is probably going to end up being the best game just based on the eye test right now.

I haven’t watched any NFL football this season so what little I saw of Tennessee, I liked (granted, it was the 3rd quarter when I turned the game on). That read option offense suits Mariotta and Derrick Henry can definitely pound it between the tackles. They look like their only read need is a legit WR threat to have a potent offense.

I don’t know what to think of the Saints game. Minnesota already beat them handily but that was before the Saints established an identity. From what I gather, Minnesota is probably the best team in the NFC which doesn’t bode well for my home town team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaymo76
01-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Wow.

No disrespect to anyone but that deal is a mistake. Gruden hasn't coached in 9 years. I realize that this signing is mostly to pacify the Oakland fans as the team plays out their lame duck year(s) but boy.

This has to make some other more accomplished HCs VERY happy.

+1000

SmoothPancakes
01-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Come on Jacksonville! Keep it up!

SmoothPancakes
01-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Son of a bitch. :fp:

steelerfan
01-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Son of a bitch. :fp:

Sent from my SM-G930V using TapatalkI guess I'm an Eagles fan for the next 2 weeks. Fucking Patriots.

Rudy
01-22-2018, 04:15 AM
So much for Minnesota hosting the Super Bowl. And if a QB like Bortles can almost get there, there is hope for everyone!

I didn’t even get to watch the AFC Championship game yet. I had tickets for the Pistons game and enjoyed a fun game at the new Little Caesars Arena. Beautiful stadium but the lack of leg room in the upper deck was astonishing. I’ve been to Ford Field and Comerica and those aisles are much roomier. You pretty much risk falling over trying to get by people. I’m a little over 6’3” and I’m glad there is a super steep grade or my knees would have been in someone’s head. Even with the grade though if people lean forward they can easily block your view, especially for my kids. But the game was a blast and my kids enjoyed it more than the baseball and football games we have gone too.

cdj
01-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Poll now added to thread to pick the winner of SB LII.

Rudy
01-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Voted Pats, rooting against them!

steelerfan
01-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Voted Pats, rooting against them!Me too and me too!

cdj
01-24-2018, 06:59 PM
Probably good the Jags lost or UCF might have claimed another national title.

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Alright, that's pretty funny. :D

souljahbill
01-30-2018, 09:59 PM

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

cdj
02-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Eagles up 22-12 at half. Patriots have them right where they want them.

SmoothPancakes
02-04-2018, 09:47 PM
I actually ended up not watching any of the Super Bowl (unintentionally as I instead spent a majority of the evening dozed off from a lack of sleep over the weekend), but I woke up in time to see the trophy presentation.

I give a congrats to the Eagles and a hearty FUCK YOU! to Brady and the Patriots. I hope Brady cried like a bitch in the locker room.

cdj
02-04-2018, 11:50 PM
Kind of amazing that the Pats lost despite a great game from Brady and the offense. What was up with benching Malcolm Butler? Patricia's response of it being due to 'packages' and 'can't get everyone in' seemed pretty weak. He's getting lots of comparisons to Shanahan from last year....perceived as blowing the game as he has his foot out the door for a HC job.

steelerfan
02-05-2018, 12:38 AM
Amendola's wife needs to tweet that her husband can't throw AND catch the ball. [emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180205/0214caaa6f3834b684d0d908626094d7.jpg

Rudy
02-05-2018, 05:44 AM
I thought Brady was a bit off at times. Maybe I expect him to be perfect but his ball placement wasn’t always there. He dropped that pass and also was lucky a couple of throws weren’t picked off.

Rudy
02-05-2018, 06:31 AM
I have been a big believer in needing an elite QB to win a Super Bowl. The list of great QBs winning titles is huge and bad QBs very small. But it has been done and with 3 of the final 4 QBs being mediocre at best in Foles, Keenum and Bortles I think there is good evidence that smart play design and coaching can help overcome limitations. Plus those QBs save a ton of money.

When Seattle won with Russell Wilson he was still on his rookie contract and cheap. These QBs are cheap and don’t have a lot of cap space allocated to QB. If you are going to pay a QB $20M+ he better be a real difference maker. I think that’s why the Chiefs dumped Alex Smith. Mahomes is cheap and they can use that money in other spots. Even the Jets under Sanchez were strong because he was cheap and other areas were strong.

But a great offensive coach to mask problems and be aggressive can make a huge difference.

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Kind of amazing that the Pats lost despite a great game from Brady and the offense. What was up with benching Malcolm Butler? Patricia's response of it being due to 'packages' and 'can't get everyone in' seemed pretty weak. He's getting lots of comparisons to Shanahan from last year....perceived as blowing the game as he has his foot out the door for a HC job.

Yeah, if you had told me Brady threw for 505 yards, 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions and I had to guess the score, I would have guessed Patriots had racked up 45+ points and probably won by 15 or more. I had a bad feeling when the 22-12 halftime lead showed up on my phone's notifications. I'm looking forward to actually watching the game now, got the 3 hour NFL Network replay of the game currently recording on the DVR at home. I'm especially looking forward to it now knowing that the Patriots lose.

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2018, 01:26 PM
I have been a big believer in needing an elite QB to win a Super Bowl. The list of great QBs winning titles is huge and bad QBs very small. But it has been done and with 3 of the final 4 QBs being mediocre at best in Foles, Keenum and Bortles I think there is good evidence that smart play design and coaching can help overcome limitations. Plus those QBs save a ton of money.

When Seattle won with Russell Wilson he was still on his rookie contract and cheap. These QBs are cheap and don’t have a lot of cap space allocated to QB. If you are going to pay a QB $20M+ he better be a real difference maker. I think that’s why the Chiefs dumped Alex Smith. Mahomes is cheap and they can use that money in other spots. Even the Jets under Sanchez were strong because he was cheap and other areas were strong.

But a great offensive coach to mask problems and be aggressive can make a huge difference.

That's what sort of scares me with the Broncos being one of the likely landing places of Kirk Cousins. To pay the kind of money they'll have to pay him, part of the defense is going to have to be blown up with some players shipped out or cut to create space. Now, the defense has already fallen off big time compared to their Super Bowl 50 winning defense, but there are still a lot of good playmakers there.

I'd rather have an above average and cheap quarterback, playing behind a stellar O-line and a smashmouth defense, so the QB doesn't have to do everything himself to win games, rather than paying out the ass for a great or elite QB. If you can draft a great or elite QB, hey, fantastic! But you're going to strike out a hell of a lot more often trying to draft another Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees than you will actually draft that elite franchise QB of the future. Just look at the, likely by now, 30+ rotation of QBs in Cleveland since 1999.

Rudy
02-05-2018, 08:26 PM
I think the OL play has to be good no matter what. If a QB doesn’t have time to throw or there is no run blocking the offence is screwed. Miami needs a better ol.

cdj
02-06-2018, 07:30 PM
After accepting the Colts job, McDaniels headed back to NE. Oops.

steelerfan
02-07-2018, 12:43 AM
After accepting the Colts job, McDaniels headed back to NE. Oops.What a dick. I hope he never gets another HC interview again.

Rudy
02-07-2018, 03:54 AM
Wow! I wonder if he’s been told something about Bills future (short) and maybe him taking over sooner than later. Or working for Irsay may not be good.

steelerfan
02-07-2018, 06:08 AM
Wow! I wonder if he’s been told something about Bills future (short) and maybe him taking over sooner than later. Or working for Irsay may not be good.Probably a bit of both but the fact is he screwed a slew of coaches who were planning to join him in Indianapolis.

souljahbill
02-07-2018, 06:21 AM
What a dick. I hope he never gets another HC interview again.

He’s probably, secretly, NE’s HC-in-waiting.

steelerfan
02-07-2018, 07:38 AM
He’s probably, secretly, NE’s HC-in-waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Probably. Hopefully sooner than later. He will run them into the ground which will make us all happy. [emoji16]

cdj
02-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Probably a bit of both but the fact is he screwed a slew of coaches who were planning to join him in Indianapolis.

That's the part that really gets me. I can accept him changing his mind, but only after getting other coaches on-board to follow him? That's really tacky.

steelerfan
02-08-2018, 10:28 PM
That's the part that really gets me. I can accept him changing his mind, but only after getting other coaches on-board to follow him? That's really tacky.Matt Eberflus left Dallas (where he had been for years) and already moved to Indy. While ownership will likely make the new HC keep him, it's a shitty situation.

jaymo76
02-24-2018, 08:28 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/report-jaguars-finalizing-deal-sign-blake-bortles-2020/?shawct=1

Feel for Jags fans. I just don't seem him bringing them to the dance. Personally I would have put the $$$ to land Kirk Cousins.

SmoothPancakes
02-24-2018, 08:33 PM
Yeah, as well as he played this year, he just hasn't shown the consistency and constant high level of play to be the next Roethlisberger or Brady or Brees.

Maybe he'll prove everyone wrong, I certainly hope so as I'd love to see Jacksonville get a Super Bowl trophy, but I just don't have the confidence in him to do so.

SmoothPancakes
03-09-2018, 07:15 PM
The Browns making a bunch of moves today.

Browns trade a 2018 and 2019 pick (league sources say none higher than third round) to the Dolphins for WR Jarvis Landry.

Browns trade a 2018 3rd rounder (#65 overall) to the Bills for QB Tyrod Taylor.

Browns trade QB DeShone Kizer to the Packers for CB Damarious Randall. Both teams will also swap 4th and 5th round picks.

With all of that, the Browns STILL have the #1, 4th, 33rd, 35th and 64th picks in this year's draft.

Rudy
03-09-2018, 08:12 PM
I like the stuff for the Browns. Getting a solid, veteran QB in Taylor and they need that. Get them back to respectability while they draft a young QB. They can still add a ton of talent through the draft and FA yet.

I don’t think Landry is worth $16M a year. He’s too limited in his game as only a short area slot WR. That said, he has incredible passion, desire and effort. Breaks tackles well and will give the Browns energy and toughness.

steelerfan
03-09-2018, 10:53 PM
I guess the Clowns finally realized that they suck at drafting and free agents leave Cleveland but never arrive there. Therefore, the only way they can do anything is to trade assets for players who have no choice but to show up.

Fuck Cleveland.

souljahbill
03-10-2018, 07:56 AM
I guess the Clowns finally realized that they suck at drafting and free agents leave Cleveland but never arrive there. Therefore, the only way they can do anything is to trade assets for players who have no choice but to show up.

Fuck Cleveland.

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

SmoothPancakes
03-10-2018, 11:50 AM
The trades continue today, with the Browns sending DT Danny Shelton and 2018 5th rounder to New England for their 2019 3rd rounder.

Also the details of the Miami trade are out now. The Browns get Jarvis Landry in return for a 2018 4th round pick and a 2019 7th round pick.

Rudy
03-11-2018, 05:10 AM
The Landry deal is close to the compensation pick for him IF the Dolphins were in a position to get one.

Rudy
03-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Dolphins cutting Suh. Miami has paid out too much money to mediocre to bad talent the last 3 years. Suh's contract was actually good compared to some of these bums. Guys like Andre Branch, Kiko Alonso, Mike Pouncey (always hurt and overrated now), etc. Might as well draft a QB and then move on from all the big contracts. Their cap situation is bad so take your lumps for 1-2 years and then be good to go.

jaymo76
04-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Dolphins cutting Suh. Miami has paid out too much money to mediocre to bad talent the last 3 years. Suh's contract was actually good compared to some of these bums. Guys like Andre Branch, Kiko Alonso, Mike Pouncey (always hurt and overrated now), etc. Might as well draft a QB and then move on from all the big contracts. Their cap situation is bad so take your lumps for 1-2 years and then be good to go.

I feel your pain Rudy. It was long ago that the Raiders were making mistake after mistake season after season. It was a long painful time as a member of Raider Nation. For the Dolphins, I have no idea on their identity and I'm still not sold on the QB position. It could be another long season for your team.

Rudy
04-16-2018, 04:24 AM
The Dolphins have been in the top 10 of dead money in each of the last three years I believe. You can’t win with bad cap management unless you hit on every draft pick. They have been mediocre at best in the draft.

steelerfan
04-17-2018, 07:58 AM
The Dolphins have been in the top 10 of dead money in each of the last three years I believe. You can’t win with bad cap management unless you hit on every draft pick. They have been mediocre at best in the draft.According to over the cap, the Dolphins already have $13.1M of dead money in 2019. Ouch!

According to the site, only 4 teams have dead money already in 2019 and the second highest is $1.6M. Miami has to get that corrected for sure!

CLW
04-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Damn it I have to root for the Browns now?

steelerfan
04-27-2018, 04:08 AM
The Clowns could have the first 5 picks and they'd screw it up. They could have taken Barkley first and most likely still got Mayfield 4th.

Instead, they draft a petite Johnny Football 2.0 #1 and reach on corner who doesn't belong in the top 10. Morons. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

steelerfan
04-28-2018, 03:22 AM
Could be a steal, getting Mason Rudolph in the middle of round 3. We'll see if he pans out for the Steelers.

Rudy
04-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Happy with Miami’s draft so far. The TE is exciting but I saw some blocking clips. Wow. Truly horrible. I’m not a big fan or receiving only TEs unless they are special as in uncoverable by LBs. The OSU LB is small but we need speed and LBs that can cover. Haven’t had a good FS in a long time and this Bama kid can cover and play the slot too. Maybe Miami wants to be a 3 S defence too.

steelerfan
04-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Happy with Miami’s draft so far. The TE is exciting but I saw some blocking clips. Wow. Truly horrible. I’m not a big fan or receiving only TEs unless they are special as in uncoverable by LBs. The OSU LB is small but we need speed and LBs that can cover. Haven’t had a good FS in a long time and this Bama kid can cover and play the slot too. Maybe Miami wants to be a 3 S defence too.Fitzpatrick looks to be a good one and Gisecki (sp?) was absolutely phenomenal at the combine. Aside from Barkley and Griffin, I'd say he made the biggest impression. I don't know about his blocking though.

I have to agree, Miami has done some good things. As a bonus, you're not the one taking over Pittsburgh's WR headache. It's jaymo and cdj's turn for that [emoji38]. Though I'll say that Bryant is far more talented than Wallace was.