PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

cdj
08-15-2017, 05:02 PM
The game is expected to be available via EA Access as soon as Wednesday afternoon.

Use this thread to discuss the game and share thoughts once it is available.

jaymo76
08-15-2017, 08:13 PM
I will DL and play the 10 hours and provide detailed impressions... but there is ZERO chance I buy this year. Lack of CFM updates is inexcusable IMO.

CLW
08-16-2017, 03:53 PM
It's ALWAYS an easy :plat: for me - if I find a decent group of guys for a CFM (and its playable) I'll stay. If not back to GameFly you go.

jaymo76
08-18-2017, 04:29 AM
I played a little tonight and have a few brief thoughts...

Pros
-visuals are stunning, especially helmets and colour rush unis
-intros are fairly well done
-commentary continues to improve
-holding Rb "skinny" feature works well
-sun reflecting off helmets... Wow!
-Chargers stadium looks excellent
-blocking seems better.... Easy to run up the gut but not so much outside

Cons
-sidelines are terrible as ever
-really hate how the score banner at the top says what mode I play
-normal speed is just too fast IMO
-coach suggestions are trash as per usual
-IMO too many CPU jukes during runs
-CPU QB's hold onto the ball to long and sacks are abundant
-I don't like the passing game at all this year....

Pretty much what I expected re: gameplay.

Rudy
08-18-2017, 05:08 AM
Jaymo, what don't you like about the passing game? I haven't enjoyed this aspect lately and with sliders that don't work well became annoyed with the game.

jaymo76
08-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Jaymo, what don't you like about the passing game? I haven't enjoyed this aspect lately and with sliders that don't work well became annoyed with the game.

The cpu zone D and man D are great and it's tough for me to hit the receivers. I find there is no space and cpu defenders break on the ball too quickly IMO so I have thrown a nuimber of INT's. I struggle getting the ball to my primary target so most stuff is crossing patterns. AS for pass D, human zone and man d are even softer than last year so good QB's will go 90% against you. I have only seen a few bad passes thus far.

jaymo76
08-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Bottom line... if you like Madden 17 you will like this game. 18 is a little more (but not much) polished version of 17. It looks better and the run game seems improved and the pass game is more challenging. I have yet to play longshot but I will today. I will also look at CFM but as there is nothing improved upon (substantial) I'm not too worried about it.

jaymo76
08-18-2017, 06:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0JVnpYuh6s&list=PL4yGEiR3WByD1p1L234gRtqC28-ORnj02&index=1

Intros are an improvement but they do seem a bit disjointed. Also I hate seeing sellouts for preseason games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exBBebvVU0o&index=3&list=PL4yGEiR3WByD1p1L234gRtqC28-ORnj02

I ended the game with 8 sacks. Goff was awful but he also didn't throw the ball away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1kuFkF2awA&index=2&list=PL4yGEiR3WByD1p1L234gRtqC28-ORnj02

I really love the stats during the highlight show... O across the board. Plus they still only have QB's and RB's. This 0 glitch is because the starters are pulled at the end of the 1st half (in week two of pre season)

Rudy
08-18-2017, 07:49 PM
The cpu zone D and man D are great and it's tough for me to hit the receivers. I find there is no space and cpu defenders break on the ball too quickly IMO so I have thrown a nuimber of INT's. I struggle getting the ball to my primary target so most stuff is crossing patterns. AS for pass D, human zone and man d are even softer than last year so good QB's will go 90% against you. I have only seen a few bad passes thus far.

I wish we had better sliders to customize the game better.

jaymo76
08-18-2017, 07:55 PM
Forgot to mention that the cpu definitely enjoys going deep. Each game I am burned with at least one LONG cpu QB completion.

CLW
08-18-2017, 08:50 PM

Good lord if its like 17 the CPU secondary is swiss cheese. My problem with playing against the CPU has always been "robo QB" which is your 2nd complaint.

SmoothPancakes
08-19-2017, 12:01 AM
It's a sad day when I'm more excited and can't wait for the new F1 racing game to release on Friday the 25th over the release of Madden.

Honestly, unless I score a free copy from somewhere, until they completely overhaul and actually pay attention to CFM, this game is pretty much on my instant skip list in recent years and into the future. The only reason I've played Madden the last couple years is because I was given a free copy.

Otherwise, Madden just isn't on my radar anymore. The gameplay still needs a lot of work and CFM is the only mode that holds any interest to me. If they're going to essentially ignore CFM, then I'm going to ignore the game as a whole.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jaymo76
08-19-2017, 11:43 AM
I played Longshot last night for one hour. The story locks at that point if you have EA ACCESS so I cannot finish it until Madden 18 goes into the Vault. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the mode. The story and development are very well done. Apparently the mode is only three hours but the hour I played was very interesting.

jaymo76
08-19-2017, 05:31 PM
I learned a valuable lesson this morning.... if you highlight a player, when the ball snaps he will not move unless you control him. So if you play a DB, you better be prepared to run the zone/man coverage because unlike previous years, your player will simply sit there.

jaymo76
08-19-2017, 05:35 PM
I played Longshot last night for one hour. The story locks at that point if you have EA ACCESS so I cannot finish it until Madden 18 goes into the Vault. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the mode. The story and development are very well done. Apparently the mode is only three hours but the hour I played was very interesting.

To reply to myself, I love the commentators in the high school game you play. They are freaking hilarious! This gives me hope that one day maybe two commentary teams will exist in madden CFM.

jaymo76
08-19-2017, 05:46 PM
I appreciate what the devs were trying to do with targeted passing but I won't use it. Honestly, it's too tough for me as I find the players move to fast.

Alex Webster
08-22-2017, 02:58 AM
hi everyone.

I was able to play one game yesterday through EA ACCESS. There were only two interceptions in four quarters and two fumbles.

However, I had a funny situation:
my pass (49ers) was intercepted at B7 and fumbled and recovered at B5 (by Team B - Cowboys). There was a booth review concerning the fumble. All done automatically. The result of the play should have been 1st down Cowboys at the 5 yard line. That's the rule.
but..... EA Sports thinks: 4th and 65 at Cowboy's 5 yard line. Ball possession = Cowboys!!! I don't know if we should call this a bug. It's completely nonsense.

as I'm working as an official (football, NCAA) in my country I can't have fun with games and rules mistakes like this. The rules, especially in the NFL, are quite easy. If there was a flag (live ball and dead ball), ok. But EA has just a few fouls. Offside, False Start, Holding. Hardly ever Pass Interference. You are not able to throw the ball beyond the Line Of Scrimmage so that there could be a illegal pass beyond the neutral zone or something like that.

Graphics so far (NFL 18): nice
Rules implementation: whack

are there any other rules misinterpretations?

gigemaggs99
08-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Got back from work and game has downloaded, so far here are my impressions,

Graphics, Looks very nice! Frostbite does a nice job on Fifa and Battlefield, the uniforms look super crisp, lots of details. I'm excited to play a game in the rain to see how they get dirty and/or if the field gets torn up like it does in Fifa.

Music: rap is not my first choice, messing with MUT for about an hour I almost lost my mind trying to figure out how to turn off the rap music. If you like rap then you'll enjoy the music, but to me I can't really tell when one song ends and the next begins, it's just the same beat over and over. Kinda like listening to the Barney theme song over and over, makes you want to break something. :bang:

New passing mechanics, I learned this in the advanced drills and then took it to the practice field. I think this is pretty sweet, it's nice to be able to change your "go to WR (red WR)" at the LOS pre-snap. It's also nice to be able to lead them where you want on a pass, it's definitely going to take some practice, it can be difficult to scramble away from pressure while leading you WR all at the same time trying to time your pass. I was able to throw multiple interceptions attempting this new skill. I can see it might be very useful when scrambling or rolling out of the pocket, since they do give you this option, and if you master it there will be no more, "WHY THE HELL DID HE THROW IT THERE?"

MUT seems like it will be fun, there are more options to trade in/up cards for better cards, I didn't mess with it much in the past, now it seems to have some added features other than play collect, you can improve them as you go. I spent a decent amount of time trading in 60-64 silver players, 5 for a 65-69 ranked silver, then trading those higher silvers for a gold and so on and so forth.

I haven't gotten to play a game yet, work seems to get in the way, did notice it's HARD though on the skills challenges, I have it set on All Pro and it wants you to do simple things like break tackles w/ the HB, the CPU defender comes down and BIG HITS you ever time, not much breaking those tackles when I'm lying on my back.

So far so good.

gigemaggs99
08-22-2017, 11:01 PM
Played my first user v user game vs my son tonight. I'm impressed, he also is impressed with the graphics. So far I can say this is a solid purchase.

xMrHitStickx904
08-23-2017, 05:01 AM
Hey, once you guys finish Longshot, look at the solo challenges in MUT. You're in for a sight for VERY sore eyes. Trust me.

cdj
08-23-2017, 10:55 PM

I went into it not expecting much, but ending up thinking the mode was very well done. It took me about 3:30 to complete it, IIRC.

I think it's the first sports story mode I have completed and the short length helped out with that. Plus the plot, though silly and cliche at times, was far better than Spike Lee's effort in NBA 2K and I felt it was more engaging than The Journey in FIFA.

bdoughty
08-25-2017, 09:38 AM
I only have a couple games in since us Standard users had to wait until last night but there are some early issues. My defensive players are playing a completely different game. I call man D and there always seems to be one guy who leaves his assigned player. Call a zone and LB's just run off leaving huge gaps which the AI just burns me every time. Kept giving up huge plays in all my games where the receivers were wide open. Stopping the run has been no problem, probably a little too easy but tolerable compared to defending the pass. I can understand the occasional missed assignment for realism but this happens on almost every pass. Play on Simulation and All Pro and do not touch the sliders.

coogrfan
08-25-2017, 03:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/52Bnl6v.jpg

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

jaymo76
08-26-2017, 08:24 PM
I only have a couple games in since us Standard users had to wait until last night but there are some early issues. My defensive players are playing a completely different game. I call man D and there always seems to be one guy who leaves his assigned player. Call a zone and LB's just run off leaving huge gaps which the AI just burns me every time. Kept giving up huge plays in all my games where the receivers were wide open. Stopping the run has been no problem, probably a little too easy but tolerable compared to defending the pass. I can understand the occasional missed assignment for realism but this happens on almost every pass. Play on Simulation and All Pro and do not touch the sliders.

I thought you weren't buying the game this year?

CLW
08-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Long Shot was better than I expected and I actually enjoyed the story/mode.

The gameplay however is pretty much the same its been forever and with EA focussed almost entirely on pay-to-win/MUT its a real shame CFM is probably never going to be improved in any significant way ever again.

I'm looking for a small group of guys that are interested in a CFM. If not, I'll finish off the :plat: and return.

bdoughty
08-28-2017, 06:11 PM
I thought you weren't buying the game this year?

I buy it every year. I think that was someone else.

Rudy
08-29-2017, 04:33 AM
I guess trade logic and IR logic got ignored for M18. In this post only one player in the league was on IR at the half way point. Disappointing but not surprising. CFM was not a focus.

http://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2048974294&postcount=375

bdoughty
08-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Next year will be the year of the Franchise.

MUT Franchise.

cdj
08-29-2017, 07:51 AM
Next year will be the year of the Franchise.

MUT Franchise.

I know you are joking, but I am honestly surprised they haven't added such a feature yet.

bdoughty
08-29-2017, 08:04 AM
Sadly, I wasn't joking. Honestly think this will become a thing before the Franchise gets a overhaul and zone defenses actually work. Gotta have priorities.

cdj
08-31-2017, 08:02 AM
Hey, once you guys finish Longshot, look at the solo challenges in MUT. You're in for a sight for VERY sore eyes. Trust me.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

I put together a quick video on how to play (very limited) CFB in Madden here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ZdA470-y4

coogrfan
08-31-2017, 11:15 AM
http://forums.operationsports.com/forums/attachments/ncaa-football/139294d1503689668-ncaa-football-18-game-so-good-we-truly-wished-we-could-play-all-day-no_ncaa_football.gif

jaymo76
09-01-2017, 11:35 PM

Really makes you think... what might have been...

cdj
09-05-2017, 04:13 PM

Rudy
09-05-2017, 06:17 PM
That is hilarious.

souljahbill
09-09-2017, 11:14 AM

I cry inside everytime I see this video. [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdj
09-16-2017, 08:57 AM
There's a really nasty DC glitch going around online. As I understand it, it can get a user to end the game and get a W even in trailing. This is not good news for their eSports scene when a few wins here and there can completely alter the standings and who gets into events.

jaymo76
09-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Madden has fallen so far off my radar I still have not used my ALL 10 hour EA ACCESS trial. I still have about an hour left. Simply put, the offline franchise bores me to tears.

SmoothPancakes
12-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Was there anything done with franchise mode this year? I've been feeling a pro football franchise itch, pretty much ignored Madden this year so I have no clue what was added or changed, and debating if $24 is worth it in the PSN Holiday sale.

Rudy
12-31-2017, 10:40 AM
Sorry. Didn’t pick up Madden this year and haven’t missed it at all.

souljahbill
12-31-2017, 02:21 PM
Watching this player-career series has been the closest I’ve come to being involved with Madden 18.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhuAlOFGtjUj4PHb5RreFH-Kp751yooAv
Of course though, I’m far more invested into this Teambuilder series of his:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBYasxHcT1ThpqvdMVskwrm2Pz28E_ARG

cdj
01-24-2018, 07:21 PM
TGTer Mr. Hit Stick is currently competing in the Madden Club Series Championship down in Orlando representing the Colts.

souljahbill
01-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Awesome!

cdj
01-25-2018, 06:40 PM
I think the Colts championship is tonight and I have been monitoring the Madden League Ops twitter for a score on the game.

cdj
01-25-2018, 08:04 PM
I don't know the score of his game, but Mr. Hit Stick just tweeted out that he has won the Colts Club Championship!

His next match-up will be on Saturday as part of the Madden Club Championship.

steelerfan
01-25-2018, 11:07 PM
Good for him! Hopefully he does well moving forward. [emoji846]

SmoothPancakes
01-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Madden Ops tweeted out the scores of the late games. He won Colts club final 31-7.

Next up the, 32 team, single elimination Madden Club Championship tournament with the winners of all club finals, with him facing the winner of the Titans club finals in his first game.

The AFC teams play Saturday around 4pm ET.

cdj
01-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Mr. Hit Stick will be playing in the next pod of games, I believe.

Livestream here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4XuQiiRU_k

cdj
01-27-2018, 05:41 PM
Mr. Hit Stick rallies from a couple scores down but falls short. He had a tough draw and nearly pulled it off.

SmoothPancakes
01-27-2018, 06:02 PM
That was a hell of a run. Made it all the way to the final 32 and didn't go down without a fight.

cdj
01-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Fortunately this was not in Mr. Hit Stick's game, but still I'd be livid if I were a competitor and this happened:

CLW
01-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Fortunately this was not in Mr. Hit Stick's game, but still I'd be livid if I were a competitor and this happened:

Best part is the EA employees just ignore the obvious during their commentary

steelerfan
01-28-2018, 03:12 PM
Best part is the EA employees just ignore the obvious during their commentaryNot true. I watched the livestream. They discussed it, albeit briefly, during a replay minutes after it happened.

EDIT: They mention it at 2:52:30

cdj
01-28-2018, 03:25 PM
I didn't have the sound on to hear what happened or if the commentators mentioned it, but there was also a glitch towards the end of the Jags vs. Texans (?) game. They had to stop the game for what seemed like 5-10+ minutes. I think it started with some sort of penalty happening/being called. Both competitors kind of did a 'wtf?' gesture and immediately started looking at Madden League officials off-stage.

cdj
01-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Also, ESPN signs deal for Madden broadcast rights.

ESPN, Disney and the NFL announced on Friday a multiyear deal to broadcast the Madden NFL 18 Championship Series and future leagues surrounding the popular Madden franchise. It's the first multiyear exclusive competitive gaming broadcast agreement for ESPN.

"We're thrilled to continue and expand our relationship with EA and the NFL in not only showcasing to our audiences these world class esports competitions for multiple years, but using the myriad of ESPN and Disney global platforms to tell the incredible stories of these competitors," John Lasker, VP of ESPN digital media programming, said in a statement.

The agreement will broadcast two Madden-based leagues: The Madden NFL 18 Club Championship and the Madden NFL 18 Ultimate League. The club championship tournament, which features players representing all 32 NFL franchises, will begin at the NFL Pro Bowl on Friday in Orlando, Florida, and end with the finals during the week of Super Bowl LII in Minneapolis at the Super Bowl Experience on Thursday.

Courtesy: ESPN (http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/22217917/espn-disney-nfl-announce-multi-year-deal-broadcast-madden-nfl-18-championship-series)

SmoothPancakes
01-29-2018, 12:37 PM
The only time I see anything showing up on TV is Thursday night for one hour at 9pm EST on ESPN2.

CLW
01-30-2018, 03:14 PM
Not true. I watched the livestream. They discussed it, albeit briefly, during a replay minutes after it happened.

EDIT: They mention it at 2:52:30

Fair enough I only watched the video cdj posted and they didnt mention it as it happened live.

steelerfan
01-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Fair enough I only watched the video cdj posted and they didnt mention it as it happened live.They actually talked about a few glitches like some sort of kickoff glitch. Heck, live I didn't notice it as I was solely watching the ball carrier. I'd guess they didn't see it either. I was kinda surprised that they discussed bugs and glitches as openly as they did.

Madden sucks and they won't likely get my money again until PS5 but I give them credit for acknowledging some of the mess.

souljahbill
02-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Mitch Trubisky is TERRIBLE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

souljahbill
02-13-2018, 07:13 PM
I spent the afternoon playing through LongShot and I absolutely LOVED it. It’s SO good. Even if you give 0 f*cks about Madden, play through it. I can’t praise it enough.

souljahbill
02-17-2018, 03:52 PM
They may come as a surprise but Madden 18 is satisfying my football game itch. After playing through LongShot, I restarted my player franchise as Devin Wade. I don’t find the team building aspects of Franchise to be nearly as fun as in NCAA’s Dynasty mode so playing as a player only lets me do just the dub part, playing football. I play on Pro and the game is still a challenge. DBs are ridiculously good at closing passing windows and making picks. I’m surprisingly happy with my $18 purchase.

jaymo76
02-17-2018, 10:11 PM
They may come as a surprise but Madden 18 is satisfying my football game itch. After playing through LongShot, I restarted my player franchise as Devin Wade. I don’t find the team building aspects of Franchise to be nearly as fun as in NCAA’s Dynasty mode so playing as a player only lets me do just the dub part, playing football. I play on Pro and the game is still a challenge. DBs are ridiculously good at closing passing windows and making picks. I’m surprisingly happy with my $18 purchase.

You're a better man than me. Though I also liked Longshot, the CFM has just killed my love of video game football. It's by far the least interesting, least detailed, least connected franchise mode of any sports game on consoles. How many years have we asked for a half time show? How many years have we asked for formation subs in special teams? How many years have we asked for an enriching and enhanced draft? How many years have we asked for playoff games to feel different from regular season games? Why are there no rpg elements to free agency? etc. etc. etc. As a 10+ year MADDEN game I want to love MADDEN again but I just can't do it.

Soulja I'm glad that you can get some enjoyment out of the game. I agree with you that LONGSHOT is a total success. I also think Madden plays a solid game of football. I just wish franchise mode was FUN!

souljahbill
02-21-2018, 04:22 PM
You're a better man than me. Though I also liked Longshot, the CFM has just killed my love of video game football. It's by far the least interesting, least detailed, least connected franchise mode of any sports game on consoles. How many years have we asked for a half time show? How many years have we asked for formation subs in special teams? How many years have we asked for an enriching and enhanced draft? How many years have we asked for playoff games to feel different from regular season games? Why are there no rpg elements to free agency? etc. etc. etc. As a 10+ year MADDEN game I want to love MADDEN again but I just can't do it.

Soulja I'm glad that you can get some enjoyment out of the game. I agree with you that LONGSHOT is a total success. I also think Madden plays a solid game of football. I just wish franchise mode was FUN!

I tried doing an owner mode team building franchise in Madden 17. I did all the contracts and drafting and whatnot but I would sim the games. That’s when I realized that team building just isn’t as fun in Madden as it is in NCAA, at least not to me. Playing just as a player in Madden 18 has made this experience far more enjoyable as my only concern is the football game itself and not juggling the cap and hoping I have the funds for signing bonuses.

steelerfan
02-21-2018, 04:57 PM
I tried doing an owner mode team building franchise in Madden 17. I did all the contracts and drafting and whatnot but I would sim the games. That’s when I realized that team building just isn’t as fun in Madden as it is in NCAA, at least not to me. Playing just as a player in Madden 18 has made this experience far more enjoyable as my only concern is the football game itself and not juggling the cap and hoping I have the funds for signing bonuses.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkIf you want an in-depth experience building a franchise in the NFL, I highly recommend the text-based sim Front Office Football (Steam). It has everything that Franchise Mode does not.

In fact, for a year or so about 15 years ago, FOF was published by EA. In that year, Madden got some serious FM updates and it never really has since.

There is also a college version of FOF but I've never played it and I'm not sure how up-to-date it has been kept (I believe only one version was ever released but has had some updates).

jaymo76
02-24-2018, 08:30 PM
If you want an in-depth experience building a franchise in the NFL, I highly recommend the text-based sim Front Office Football (Steam). It has everything that Franchise Mode does not.

In fact, for a year or so about 15 years ago, FOF was published by EA. In that year, Madden got some serious FM updates and it never really has since.

There is also a college version of FOF but I've never played it and I'm not sure how up-to-date it has been kept (I believe only one version was ever released but has had some updates).

I'm surprised to hear that you play text simulators Matt. What makes this so good?

steelerfan
02-24-2018, 09:36 PM
I'm surprised to hear that you play text simulators Matt. What makes this so good?I used to play a bunch of them but haven't in probably 15 years (aside from one year of giving Football Manager a go). However, I recently got the itch to play FOF again and so I bought the most recent version (FOF 8?).

Anyhow FOF is just very, very in depth.

Check out the website and it should give you an idea of it's for you.

http://www.solecismic.com/

souljahbill
04-30-2018, 10:24 AM
I tried to start a coach mode dynasty but it doesn’t seem possible. 🤦🏾*♂️ Maybe next year.